Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Beginning

I'm sitting in the Roanoke airport.  It is essentially a hallway with a a few doors that supposedly lead to the airplanes.  I got through security with 100% of my dignity in tact in under 5 minutes!  Well done TSA, well done.  I ran into an alumni of my fraternity at the airport, in fact, it looks like we might be sharing a flight.  Random coincidences of life.

I know that at this point, I should be getting excited about Italy, but for some reason it still does not seem that real.  This flight is headed down to Atlanta, where I will stay for a few days and give a presentation at a psychology conference on aging.  And then I leave from Atlanta straight to Sienna.  Though, despite my mental block on being excited about my upcoming trip, everything I've heard over the past few days suggests that Sienna is an absolutely amazing town.  Apparently, it's tucked away on a hill in Tuscany, about half an hour south of Florence.  Places I've been told I NEED to see:  The cathedrals in both Sienna and Florence, the Piazza in Sienna.  Places I've been told to avoid: Naples.  At all costs, I'm supposed to avoid Naples.  It is supposedly, the birth place of the mafia, and home to some of the sketchiest and most dangerous people.  So it is safe to say that I will be avoiding Naples.  Adventure is ideal, but stupidity is not my style.  Alright, we're boarding.  I'll keep in touch.  Here's to the daily adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment