Tuesday, June 12, 2012

NYC and Me

Sorry to those of you who were hoping for more frequent updates, but new York is turning out to be pretty relaxing.  I made it down to central park which was amazing and felt the subway pass below me as the ground shook.  Ive  continued hunting for a second job.  Ive gotten caught in New York traffic so an hour trip to Newark airport turned into two and a half hours (my friends made their flight with 10 minutes to spare.)
Nothing, this weekend was really blog worthy.  But the last 12 hours have proven a bit more thrilling.  One of my friends who's from Miami and is spending the summer in the upper west side of New York came by to check out my apartment and to pick up a bag of his shoes I brought up for him.  As he gets off the subway he shoots me a text "I'm never coming back here.  Im surprised they did not check my passport ay the border."  The guy who helped me hang out on rooftop poolside was now experiencing how the other half lived and it was culture shock.  I offered to drive him to the train station when he was leaving so he would not have to brave the streets of the Bronx at night.
Back at home, I could not find a place to park on the right side of the street (the left side gets ticketed on Tuesdays and Fridays because it gets street cleaned.)  I resigned myself to driving to work.  I swear, overnight the number of cars in the Bronx doubled.  There was not a parking place the whole way to work.  At some point, I got caught between a set of double parked cars and a diagonally parked garbage truck.  AND, the guy behind me kept honking AT ME!  Are you serious?  There is maybe 3 feet between the truck and the double parked car, I cant fit through that and neither can you, minivan driver.  Whatever, I'm over it. 
Anyways, I finally found a parking spot near a fire hydrant (but not too near this time).  But, I didn't quite know how to get from where I parked to where I worked.  I knew the general direction, but not the specific route.  I cut through this side ally next to a police station, but ended up in a fenced-in parking lot.  As I meaner around, out the other exit, I realize that I am in the parking lot for the police station.  One of the gars flips on the sirens to let me know I'm her way so I move over to let her pass and keep walking out.  She flips on her siren again when I'm out, and I think, Jeeze lady I'm already out of your way leave me alone.  I keep walking and she shouts out her window "Yo, are you lost."  Thank God!  Someone helpful!  "Yes, I am.  I'm trying to get to the Kennedy Center from here."  "Oh I just had to make sure since you were technically trespassing."  At this point, we are joined by a man cop who responds to my "I'm sorry I didn't realize"  with "the signs didn't throw you off?"  No, buddy, they didn't because, upon further inspection when I was walking back to my car, they don't say no trespassing merely "police station, beware of cars."  "No sorry, I came in on the other side"  "They're there too."  "Oh, sorry.  Well, how do I get where I'm going?"  "Take your next right"

The next right turned out to be the fire department.  Seriously?  Out of the frying pan into the fire...department.  But, they were much cooler (no pun intended) and let me through without issue.  Moreover, after all this, I come home to an email from the New York Department of Finance about that first parking ticket I got that read "The respondent has been charged with violating Traffic Rule 4-08(e)(2) prohibiting stopping, standing or parking a vehicle within fifteen feet of a fire hydrant.  Respondent's claim that he is from out of state and was unfamiliar with the parking regulations in New York City is not a meritorious defense to the violation.  Area within fifteen feet of a hydrant is a general no stopping zone.  Signs or markigns are not required.  Claim that the vehicle was parked temporarily as he was moving items into his new apartment fails to provide a meritorious defense to the cited regulation.  Summons upheld.  No reduction."  So, apparently, they can have laws specific to their state, don't have to let you know about them in any way, and can still hold you accountable.

But, it's okay.  I'm in NYC, center of the Universe, heart of culture, and thought, and finance, and loads of other things and I'm having the time of my life.  Cheers to the daily adventure.  Pics to come, I swear!

1 comment:

  1. And your parking ticket story is why I will never live in New York.

    Also, lolBareno.

    ReplyDelete