Sunday, July 15, 2012

It's all about the people

What's life?  Not to get all deep and philosophical on this fun little blog of mine, but it's the ultimate question that each of us asks ourselves at least once.  It seems to be a common question among young people.  I hardly think anyone has the answer, but I think the key lies in your interactions with people, and with the entire human experience as a whole.  I once read this short story that basically suggested that man kind advanced so much that they created a place to save the collective human experience in hyperspace and allow it to learn and answer all questions because it essentially was everyone.  This thing, once the entire universe succumbed to the nature of entropy, said let their be light, thereby restarting the universe.  An interesting take on the interaction between man, God, and science.  Why do I bring this up?  I have realized over the past week, that I have been blessed to meet some really awesome people, if only for brief interactions. 

My new roommate: Roberto Corona.  Spanish name.  Born in Africa.  Raised in the UK.  Culturally confused?  He is awesome!  Unfortunately, he is barely here because he has cooler friends in Jersey but, when he is here, I probe his mind for information about the UK and try and copy his accent.  He's such a good sport about it.

His friend Chelsea.  She is from upstate New York, currently lives in Brooklyn, with all the cool kids, and handles Roberto's jokes well.  We only spoke briefly, but she seemed pretty interesting.

Becca and KiKi:  I was fortunate enough to meet these beautiful ladies at the New York Philharmonic concert in Central Park.  Becca and I flirted a little bit, I found out that she was a teacher, played Scrabble better if she had a bigger board, and went to church religiously (pun intended).  When I revealed that I was only 20, I think I took her by surprise a bit.  Best reaction ever "No your not!  Seriously?  No.  Wow.  The universe is sending you older women"  Becca, you have no idea!  It was a fun random interaction.  We talked about our blogs, because everyone has a blog these days.  You can find hers here

Patrick V. Hackeling: This guy is pretty amazing.  He is an ex-lacrosse player at Swarthmore university.  His true passion lies in filmmaking, however.  He wrote a shockingly deep script and had the guts to try and produce it on his own, and star in it.  I was fortunate enough to have a fun, smaller role in the film and get to meet him and his friends and be part of, what I hope, is an amazing first step towards a great career for him!  Whenever it comes out, in whatever film contests or festivals, you all should check out "The Thirteenth Step."

Judie:  I met Judie, a fiery red head with a personality kind of like Abby Schuto from NCIS on the set of Pat's movie.  She has lived quite the life, being a make up artist and hair designer in Hollywood.  Two of her siblings are also in the film industry, and the other is a doctor.  Judie gave me some pretty realistic track marks as she told stories of interactions with crazy celebrities and wacky film shoots.  What a life she's led.

Sam:  The cameraman for the second half of the day of shooting with Pat.  This guy recently got married at Cold Spring Harbor Labs.  This place is absolutely beautiful!  Tucked away in the hills of long island (seriously), overlooking the water, this medical facility researches neurological disorders while also hosting concert series and such.  Sam works for them as a video technician.  He was born in England, raised mostly in the states, did college in England and came back (leading to a slight, but noticeable accent).  We talked about a zombie film he is shooting and how he really likes filmography, but can't find enough time/people to do it.

But, beyond meeting new people and experiencing touches of others lives (I think I'll post again about some of the people I've met.  Some who have had longer interactions with me, or who were mentioned briefly in other posts but didn't get a paragraph like everyone here) I have created some new memories with an old friend.

I'm lucky enough to have my buddy KC in town to visit me.  Today, we went to brooklyn to have dinner and wound up in the getto/hipsterville/Jewtopia.  It was great food and amazing view of the city.  We walked back to Manhattan, over the Williamsburg Bridge, as a storm started rolling in.  IT was beautiful  (pics will get their own post).  On the metro ride back up to the bronx, we got on the crazy train.  Some woman who looked a bit like Diana Ross started clapping and singing "ain't none yo' business" and would get mad if anyone looked at her.  When she got off she said "I hope you have a bad evening and a worse night."  Elsewhere on the subway, a homeless man fell asleep and fell over onto a very large black woman who just started laughing away.  It was a fun moment.  A different mother got fed up with her crying daughter after what I imagine was a very long day.  Some guy recognized me and KC from the subway ride at the beginning of the day!  He remembered where we got on and said that we were sitting a few seats away from where we sat in the morning.  How funny! 

It was a pretty awesome experience, and I hope there will be more to come.  I'm dreaming of moving back here after I graduate.  I hope it works out.  Cheers to the daily adventure, and the people who make adventures worthwhile.




No comments:

Post a Comment